I have had a really fun last week, I had my mom and sister in town so we have been playing everyday. We explored upstate New York and also went up into Canada to see Niagara Falls, which is amazing! We have been running around all over the place so I didn’t get much exercise in, but I am totally okay with that for this week :).
Now on to our post today: calorie burning!
I am definitely in favor of finding a type of exercise that you enjoy doing so you will stick with it and want to continue improving on it. Sometimes though, we just need to get a good sweat session in and we want the most bang for our buck. I decided to do a little searching for you to look for the most effective types of cardio, and although the order of what was best varied, most places I looked agreed on which exercises burned the most calories.
There were a few more listed but i picked the 5 that could most easily be done anytime of year. So in no specific order, here are 5 cardio exercises that will give you the most “bang for your buck”:
Photo credit to Xans Eye Photography
- Cycling: Depending on your resistance you can burn between 200-500 calories in 30 minutes. I love going to spin class once a week for this reason! It is high energy and by the end I am soaked in sweat. Such a great workout!
- Swimming: This is a great full body workout that can burn up to 400 calories in 30 minutes while doing the breast stroke. Swimming is also an awesome form of cross training for almost any activity.
- Running: A 145 lb person can burn about 300 calories during 30 minutes of running (at a 6mph pace). Running is also great to strengthen your heart and lungs!
- Jump Rope: One of the most simple and old school forms of exercise is also one of the best! Depending on your height/weight you can burn around 400 calories in 30 minutes.
- Rowing: This is not only a great cardio exercise, but an amazing arm workout! Rowing can be done outside or on a rowing machine. During a vigorous rowing session, you can burn around 300 calories in 30 minutes.
(source, source, source)
I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday!