Like I said in a previous post I have a ton of zucchini just growing all over the place in my garden. I have been trying new ways to use this yummy vegetable and one of those ways was zucchini bread. But I didn’t want to make the usually kind that is full of white sugar and basically is more like a cake than a bread. So I looked for a healthier version and came across this recipe and tried it out. It tasted very similar to the original and I thought maybe even better. Woot Woot! So if you guys were thinking about making this popular summer bread give this recipe a try and save on all the added sugar and white flour.
Healthy Zucchini Bread
Originally found on The Gracious Pantry
- 2 cups 100% whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2/3 cup raw honey
- 1 generous cup grated zucchini (about 1 large zucchini)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 3/4 cup Plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Oil 2 medium loaf pans with olive oil mister, or 1 large loaf pan.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and nutmeg.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the honey, zucchini, apple sauce, egg and egg white, olive oil, lemon zest and yogurt. Mix well.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture and blend well.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pans and place in the oven.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Note: You may need to cover this loosely with foil if the top starts to get to brown.