This is my first year planting my own garden and oh my goodness it is producing sooo much produce. I must have a green thumb and didn’t know it haha. One of the things I planted was Zucchini and I have so many huge zucchini that I don’t know what to do with them all. So I quickly remembered this recipe I have in one of my cooks books that uses 2 zucchinis. Perfect. Its such a fun different meal that your family will think it took you forever to make because it looks so fancy. The recipe is from “Our Best Bites” cook book.
2 medium zucchini (about 10 inches long)
1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oilKosher salt and black pepper to season
4 ounces Italian turkey sausage
1/4 cup diced red onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium tomato, diced (about 1/2 cup)
11/2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2/3 cup prepackaged Italian cheese blend, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
1 Tablespoon Italian-style bread crumbs, plus 1 teaspoon for garnish
1. Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise. Leave the ends on.
2. Scoop out the centers, saving them in a bowl. Leave a 1/4 inch around the edges and bottoms of the zucchini. Sort out 1/2 cup of the best parts of the scooped out zucchini in the bowl (avoiding the seeds if possible) dice it up and set it aside for later.
3. Drizzle olive oil over the zucchini shells and use your hands to rub it all over the sides. Sprinkle with some kosher salt and black pepper and set aside.
4. Preheat your grill to medium.
5. Remove turkey sausage from the casing and start to brown it until no longer pink. Add the onion, garlic, and diced zucchini. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until onion is tender. Add the tomato, basil, salt, and black pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
(Does this not Look Amazing! Look at those colors)
6. Place the zucchini hollow-side down on the grill. Grill for about 5 minutes on medium heat. They should have nice grill marks and look tender on the inside. Remove from heat.
7. Add the cheese and bread crumbs to filling mixture. Stir to combine and then divide the filling between the zucchini. Top each zucchini with about 1 tablespoon cheese and sprinkle with 1/4-1/2 teaspoon bread crumbs. Lastly give them a little drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.
8. Place them back on the grill filling-side up. Close the grill lid and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Larger and thicker zucchini will take a few minutes longer to cook.
My husband was surprised how much he really enjoyed this dinner. It was a hit at our household and one to make again. I hope you guys enjoy this fun healthy dinner and let me know how you like it.