I loooove fruit! Fruit has MANY different benefits. It is packed with nutrients and is very low in calories. Today I want to outline the benefits of 4 of my own favorite fruits.
1. Blueberries [source]:
Blueberries are amazingly good and amazingly amazing for your health:) Here are just a few benefits of blueberries:
- Low in fat and calories- 1 cup of blueberries = about 80 calories
- Loaded with dietary fiber: fiber helps keep your body regular, is linked to a healthy heart, aids in keeping a healthy cholesterol, and has been linked to fighting against certain types of cancers.
- Packed with phytonutrients: Phytonutrients are plant chemicals that have protective factors and help fight off diseases. The phytonutrients in blueberries are high in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Blueberries rank the highest out of any fruit for anti-oxidants. What do anti-oxidants do? Fight off free-radicals that our bodies do not want! Free radicals can cause cellular damage to our bodies…no bueno.
- Full of vitamin C: a serving of blueberries has about 25% of your daily needs of vitamin C. Vitamin C helps with collagen formation and maintaining healthy capillaries, gums, and a healthy immune system.
- Full of manganese: manganese aids in bone development. It also plays an important role in converting protein, fat and carbohydrates into energy.
2. Bananas [source]:
- Low in fat and calories: There is about 110 calories in a single banana. Bananas are a great way to fight that sweet tooth with its sweet flavor and awesome nutrition!
- Super high in potassium: there is over 400 mg of potassium in a medium sized banana. Potassium aids in nerve conduction and muscle contraction. It is also important for maintaining the proper amount of fluids in the body. Potassium in bananas can assist in decreasing muscle cramps after exercising.
- High in vitamin C: bananas have about 15% of your daily value of vitamin C.
- Easily digestible: bananas are easy on the stomach and easy to digest.
- High in fiber: A single banana contains about 3 grams of fiber, thus helping you feel satisfied longer.
3. Strawberries [source]:
- Low in calories and high in fiber: one cup of strawberries provides about 3 grams of fiber and only 50 calories.
- Contains 100% of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin C in just one cup: they contain more vitamin C than any other berry!
- Good source of manganese, potassium, iodine and folate.
- Loaded with phytonutrients
- Low in calories and high in fiber: there is about 64 calories and 8 grams of fiber in 1 cup of fresh raspberries.
- Known for their anti-cancer properties: raspberries contain super strong antioxidants that help fight against certain cancers and heart disease. Ellagic acid, which is found in raspberries, can kill certain types of cancer cells. It has the ability to kill cells found in colon, esophageal, liver, lung, tongue, and skin cancers.
- Has been found to have anti-inflammatory properties: may help alleviate arthritis.
Pretty awesome right?! I think I will keep eating all of those fruits regularly! So next time you want a snack, think about all of the health benefits you could be getting from a little bit of fruit!
Have an awesome day:)