Summer is finally here and I am in love. Something about the sun and heat makes me a happy momma. One thing that the hubby and I love to do during the summer is have friends over for a BBQ and eat yummy food. I was searching around on good ole Pinterest the other day and came across this delectable salad. BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad so healthy and delicious. It is just perfect for any BBQ we will be hosting in the near future. Like a good hostess I decided to try making this recipe first before making it to serve guests, (really because I could not wait to try it), and I am so happy that I did. Its Amazing and I could eat the whole salad by myself and happily make it again another night to share at our BBQ.
SO here is the recipe:
1 cup quinoa, rinsed very well
2 cups water
2 chicken breasts
salt & pepper
2 ears corn, shucked (or 1 cup corn kernels)
1/2 cup black beans, drained & rinsed
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup BBQ sauce (plus more for chicken)
- Rinse quinoa very well under cold water and drain. Combine with the water in a saucepan and then bring to a boil. Place a lid on top, lower heat to medium-low, and cook until quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Prepare your chicken by either grilling it outside or using a rotisserie chicken, leftover chicken, or pre cooked chicken like I did.
- Next, if you are using fresh corn add it to the grill at the same time, and rotate every couple of minutes to evenly char on all sides (I will do this the night we actually BBQ) or Saute frozen Chicken on your stove top like I did this time.
- Remove chicken and corn to a plate and let cool slightly. Shred or cut chicken into cubes, then mix with enough BBQ sauce to coat. Slice kernels off the cob.
- Drain and rinse black beans and set them aside to be added later.
- Mix together Greek yogurt and BBQ sauce in a bowl.
Evenly divide the cooked quinoa, shredded BBQ chicken, grilled corn, black beans, and shredded cheese between four plates. Drizzle with yogurt and BBQ sauce mixture, then garnish with chopped cilantro.This meal not only tastes amazing but also is beautiful to look at. My husband rated this as his favorite Quinoa recipe I have ever made him and he said this is his first time he actually enjoyed eating it. (good to know he was forcing himself to eat all my other quinoa recipes) haha. So if that is not reason enough to make this salad I don’t know what is. HURRY and make this dish, you will not regret it.