My husband loves having taco nights. He would seriously request that for dinner every night if I did not get sick of them, haha! I definitely do like having them every once in a while, but I wanted to change it up and try to make them a little healthier this last time. They were awesome and my husband even approved of them :).
Healthified Taco Night
- Substitute ground turkey for ground beef. It looks weird but it does taste good once it is done and has taco seasoning on it!
- I like to add black beans once the turkey is cooked. Add it just before adding taco seasoning.
- Use spinach instead of lettuce-a ton more vitamins!
- Substitute greek yogurt for sour cream
- Make homemade guacamole instead of store bought-it’s so easy and gets rid of preservatives. To make it, smash up your avocado, add a little lime juice and salt and pepper.
- Use soft corn tortillas and do not fry them in oil-there is no reason to do this. I just heat them up on a non-stick pan for a few seconds on each side.
- Add a healthy side instead of chips.
Eating healthy does not mean you have to give up your favorite foods! Just making a few simple substitutions makes a big difference.