Being a parent is the best thing in the world, but is also very time consuming! Between taking care of your child’s needs, playing with them, taking care of the house, making breakfast lunch and dinner, cleaning up breakfast, lunch and dinner, and if you work add that on top…. Wow! Lots of responsibility! Finding time to exercise can sometimes be a struggle. If you take the time to add exercise into your daily routine, it will be worth it! I promise!
I call exercise the “miracle drug” because it helps with every single aspect of wellness. I find that I have way more energy throughout the day when I exercise, and I feel happier and healthier. Balancing time and priorities can help you fit your workouts in and be a happier, healthier parent.
Tips for exercising when you have children:
1. Invest in a jogging stroller: I run with a BOB stroller and I am absolutely in love with it! It is so easy to get up and go on a jog with my little girl and get a great exercise in for the day. She loves riding along. I definitely think that jogging strollers are worth the money. If you do not jog, No worries! Go for a walk! You and your child will love being out together in the fresh air.
2. Use your time efficiently: If you only have 20 minutes, that’s fine! Make good use of your time by doing a harder workout. Get your heart pumping with at home exercises like jumping rope, jumping jacks, push-ups, sit-ups, lunges, squats, burpees, etc. Remember anything is better than nothing!
3. Exercise first thing in the morning if possible: I find that it is much easier to get my workout in if I do it in the morning. By the end of the day I am so tired and have a hard time getting my body into “go” mode. If I exercise right away, I don’t feel like I have to worry about how I am going to get it in all day. I also feel like I have more energy throughout the day.
4. Invest in exercise videos/apps/exercise websites: There are TONS of exercise videos out there. Exercise videos are so nice to have on hand. When you have a spare half hour, just pop in a video and get a great workout in! Some great exercise videos I have found are Jillian michaels “Ripped in 30” or “30 Day Shred”, Insanity, and P90X. There are many different types of videos like yoga, pilates, kickboxing, taebo, etc. Find a couple that you like and go for it!
Feel like you dont want to spend money on videos?! No worries! There are many websites and phone apps that have many different workouts. A few apps: Fitness Buddy, Daily Workouts and Popsugar Active. Websites: Body Rock TV and Workout Box. If all else fails, Youtube a workout video!
5. Make it a priority: Schedule exercise in. If you make it an important part of your day, you will find time to get it in. If you need to start by actually penciling in a time to workout, or setting a workout alarm on your phone, do it! Make it a priority and get into the habit of making it routine. I promise you will feel better!
6. Use nap time: Nap time is awesome for exercise. If you do use nap time, I suggest to exercise before you do anything else. There are a billion distractions and it’s easy to get caught up in something else. Exercise first and then do your other stuff:)
7. Remember every minute counts! If your day gets crazy and you have to do ten minute intervals of exercise, that’s okay! Shoot for thirty minutes, and if that means ten minutes in the morning, ten at lunch, and ten in the evening that is just fine… It all adds up.
8. Have activities ready for your children: If you are going to exercise while your children are around, have some simple activities for them to do. You can set up a little activity station with coloring books, their favorite toys, and snacks.
9. Use the park: Parks are awesome exercise tools and while you exercise, your children will be entertained! You can run around with your children, take laps around the playground, do the monkey bars, do pull-ups, jump on or step up on to the benches, push-ups, sit-ups, squats, lunges… The possibilities are endless!
10. Set up an exercise play date: Get another mom or group of moms together to exercise! Go to the park, track, or even someone’s house and let the kids play while the mommas exercise:)
11. Join a gym with a daycare: Daycare gyms are very convenient. If you do choose to put your child in a daycare, make sure it is safe and clean.
12. Involve your children: Go on a walk, Turn on some music and dance with your children, or show your children how to do the exercises so that they can do it with you.
Remember to take care of yourself…YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!
Tune in tomorrow for a fun and challenging at home workout that involves no equipment. All you need is your body!