Some of the main questions I get asked a lot are, “what should I eat after a workout?” or “how can I get more protein into my diet without supplementing?” and also just basically, “why does my body need protein?” These are great questions and I hope I can help give you guy’s answers to them all!
… Your body needs a balance of Protein and Carbohydrates both to help refuel your glycogen stores and rebuild your muscles. Carbohydrate consumption stimulates insulin production, which aids the production of muscle glycogen (glycogen is the source of energy most often used for exercise). Protein provides the amino acids which are necessary to rebuild muscle tissue that is damaged during intense, prolonged exercise. It can also help with water absorption and improve muscle hydration. (So don’t forget to drink lots of water too!) The best way to see these results is to eat a ratio of 4:1, with 4 being carbs and 1 being protein 30 min.- 1 hour after your workout. If you wait much longer after 2 hours you will see a great decrease in glycogen stores being replenished.
So the next big question “What foods should I eat to accomplish this goal?”
Below is a list of great Post Workout meals that you can eat and are easy to make:
- Plain Greek yogurt with Homemade granola (recipe coming soon) and Fruit. (you want plain Greek yogurt so you are not adding unnecessary sugars)
- Oatmeal mixed with Chia seeds and topped with fruit
- Whole wheat toast with peanut butter and banana slices
- Apple with peanut butter on them
- Cottage cheese with fruit ( if using canned fruit use the kind that is unsweetened so not to add more unnecessary sugar)
- Eggs or just egg whites with fruit on side, or wrapped in 100% whole wheat tortilla
- Quinoa mixed with cooked vegetables and black beans
- Spinach or Kale salad mixed with chick peas, nuts, or soy beans also add craisins or raisins
- Chicken Breast slices put into 100% whole wheat tortilla for a Wrap. Add in spinach tomatoes or other vegetables.
- Energy balls: mix of oats, peanut butter, wheat germ, flax seeds, dry milk and Honey (recipe coming soon)
- Salmon or Ground turkey mixed in any meal will increase the protein
Promise me you will all now eat a balanced meal of protein and Carbs after your workout and not waste that prime window of time to see major improvements. What types of post workout meals do you guys like to eat?? Share with us in the comments below :)